Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

Review: KDrama - My Girl  Reply with quote  

Title: My Girl (마이걸)
Number of Episodes: 16
Broadcast Year: 2005-2006

moofii's Rating: 4.8 out of 5

Synopsis: Ju Yoo Rin (Lee Da Hae) is a gambler's daughter, an intelligent but money-loving swindler proficient in several languages. Seol Gong Chan (Lee Dong Wook) is the honest, hard-working heir of a classy hotel. Added into the mix are Kim Sae Hyun (Park Si Yeon), Gong Chan's tennis-star ex-girlfriend, and Seo Jeong Woo (Lee Joon Ki), his best friend. Because of his grandfather's illness, Gong Chan is forced to ask Yoo Rin to be his long-lost cousin so that his grandfather's last wish can be fullfilled. As a result, they both are bound to a lie that no one in the family knows about. As they grow closer and closer, the relationship between Gong Chan and Sae Hyun becomes strained, and Yoo Rin's deceptions become more and more tangled and emotionally painful, until the lines between lies and truth become nearly indistinguishable.

moofii's Review: I just finished watching this k-drama, and all I can say is "I love it~~" Like a lot of good Korean cinema, it's got the perfect blend of ab-working hilarity (meaning, you laugh so hard your abdomen hurts) and heart-wrenching drama. I really liked how the theme of appearance-versus-reality gave the series the typical corny-but-hilarious-asian-humor, tearful emotional scenes, AND a moral about how lying is bad. Plus, the scripting was excellent; funny, dramatic, and clever as only (IMO) a korean drama can be.
My Girl also become one of my personal favorites because the acting was simply amazing. Lee Da Hae (who plays Yoo Rin) and Lee Dong Wook (the actor of Gong Chan) were as cute, clever, and intense as the script called for, and I absolutely fell in love with them. The actors rarely got too cheesy (a fault i find often in asian dramas), but they still expressed emotions very well, and I could empathize even with the annoying ex-girlfriend Sae Hyun and the overly persistent Jeong Woo.
Okay, so any drama has to have its bad points... well, I thought a lot of the side characters were too overshadowed by the main characters, and the development of their relationships and personalities could have been more thorough/interesting. Also, Jang Il Doh, this middle-aged guy who lives at Gong Chan's house, was just plain creepy, even when he was playing lovey-dovey scenes with his lover character. And, of course, the drama is annoyingly unrealistic, as most are. Confused
BUT STILL, My Girl was reeally good. Normally when I watch a drama, I'll spread out 15 episodes over a few weeks to make sure I don't waste too much time (so that I have time to do homework and edit BP for you pps XD). But, My Girl was something that I found myself watching in the span of one week because I liked it that much (unfortunately, that week happened to be exams week -_-;; ). So that shows how good it was; go watch it! Very Happy

Post Sat 27 May, 2006 04:21 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Re: Review: KDrama - My Girl  Reply with quote  

Cool! Thanx for the review moofii XD I actually downloaded episode 1 ages ago, but only skimmed thru it and then deleted the file ^^;;;; Can hardly remember what it was about. Anyway I'll go watch this series for real after my exams ^^

Post Sun 28 May, 2006 01:10 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Hehehe, I just started watchin My Girl! It's really great XD Things got interesting in ep2 so it was easy to keep watching afterwards ^^

Post Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:24 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

watched this earlier this year .. although it was corny at times, it was an excellent drama! definately one of my favourites.. moofii's review says all i want to say about it.. great review btw Wink

Post Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:35 PM   
mao_vaj

Very Happy LOVE THIS DRAMA... JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT... ONE OF THE BEST DRAMA ON MY LIST...Lee Da Hae i ssucha good actress... and oh "my" Junki Lee i so damn hot tooo...

Post Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:20 AM   
desertrose281

@mao_vaj: yea, the cast was really good in this one.. did u see the movie "the king and the clown"? i was like 'hey, thats the dude from my girl!'.. although the movie was kinda ..wierd.. o_0

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 01:02 AM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@dersertrose: "The King and the Clown" was really WEIRD and freaky >_____< Hmm, I must say I dun care much for jap or korean movies... there are only some exceptions, classic stuff like My Sassy Girl and Battle Royal that I really like.

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 01:08 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

@mangauniverse: yea, that movie was pretty freaky.. but i think junki suited his role, lol.. i dwlded My Sassy Girl but the subs wont work Sad im still trying to figure out whats wrong.. nowadays the only movies i watch are either jap or korean.. for some reason, hollywood doesnt appeal to me much anymore..

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 04:30 PM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@desertrose: really? That sounds weird... Which player do you use? Most should be able to load subtitles, even the recent version of Media Player... not sure really, but you could try Vlan player and manually load the subtitles. Hope you get it resolved ^^;;; *not very good with media problems~* Do you have the right codecs installed? The Community Pack (or whatever it's called) solved all the codecs problem I had.

Ah, I dun watch much movies at all nowadays ^^;;; I pretty much only follow series XP

Post Mon 04 Sep, 2006 04:02 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

@mangauniverse: yea its wierd.. i usually can fix the subs no prob.. i've tried the vid on 3 diff players and 3 diff computers too! i think theres a prob with the subs i have.. do u know where i can get just the subs - the vid is perfectly fine..

Post Tue 05 Sep, 2006 05:08 AM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@desertrose: Hmm, must be the actual subs then. Well if you only want subs then try http://kloofy.net it's a huge database of subs for asian movies ^^ However you need to know which raw version you have there... If you dunno you'll have to dl all the different version and then try each one after another ^^;;;; Btw silent regrets site is up again and there's a hardsubbed version of My Sassy Girl Smile *if nothing works that is*

btw you need to be a member to be able to log into kloofy.net but that's all really Smile

Post Tue 05 Sep, 2006 12:13 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

@mangauniverse: thanks for that! i'll be sure to give that a try when i get home Very Happy

Post Wed 06 Sep, 2006 06:26 AM   
white_queen
Active baby

i loved this dramaaaaaaaa
i thought it was pretty frickin hilarious...hahahaha
there were serioius parts too, of course.

lee junki is so pretty tho...^^

thanx for the review~

Post Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:25 PM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Ah, my mom said something real funny when she watched the first chinese-subbed episode: you remmeber the scene where Seo Jeong Woo lying with bed with some woman (lover of the italian mafia boss or something)? At first my mom thought it was a scene involving two lesbian girls XD XD XD *hahahahah* Cant fault her though... that guy has such a scary feminine face Shocked

Post Fri 03 Nov, 2006 03:36 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

hahaha that's so true! he does look super girly! ;]

Post Fri 10 Nov, 2006 05:54 AM   View user's profile Send private message  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: