Dragon Voice Forum > Dragonvoice Projects > Ai Yazawa's Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KatDiva

Ai Yazawa's Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai  Reply with quote  

I have been purchasing another manga in Borders published by Tokyo Pop called Tenshi Ja Nai ("I'm No Angel"), but it's not by Yazawa-sensei. It's by another mangkata, and I just so happened to be doing a search on it, and came across your site.

First of all, I am an AVID Ai Yazawa fan, both of her manga and the anime: Nana (most especially), Paradise Kiss, and Gokinjo Monogatari. I know that Para-Kiss and Gokinjo have the some of the same characters in them, and I couldn't help but wonder if this manga you're working on, Tennai is a predecessor in any way to Gokinjo... b/c the Ken-chan character and Midori characters look VERY much like the main characters in that manga.

Anyone know?

Ok, now secondly, I want to thank this group for your hard work on ALL of your projects. You truly have your hands full working on so many. I am just glad you picked the best of the best here. I am so happy I stumbled on this site!

Thank you EVERYONE for the hours you spend doing this for us!

Lubu Lubu!

Post Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:43 AM   
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

Re: Ai Yazawa's Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai  Reply with quote  

hmm... i'll check 'tenshi ja nai' out next time i go to borders. :]

haha, i'm also an AVID ai yazawa fan. her art, stories, style, characters, etc, are all so amazing and touching! 'tenshi nanka ja nai' is really an excellent manga, too. ^^

tennai is sort of a 'predecessor' to gokinjo, you might say. since there is a cameo appearance by tennai characters in gokinjo (miniSPOILER: when midori and akira, the main characters in tennai show up at akindo's club fair in gokinjo, they buy one of mikako's happy berry items ), you can tell that tennai and gokinjo are taking place in the same 'world,' just at different times. miniSPOILER2: also i think that midori's friend in tennai, nakagawa ken, is the famous singer that tsutomu is often mistaken for in gokinjo

Post Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:05 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
ezpoang

moofii: I'm pretty sure that you're correct on spoiler2. I vaguely remember seeing that mentioned somewhere, maybe in the side notes in Gokinjo?

Also, I think the same side notes also said that they are taking place at the same time. That and the Sudosaurus being used in Gokinjo is just funny.

Post Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:55 AM   
KatDiva

AH! Thanks so much for responding!

It does make sense now! I think Yazawa-sensei likes to make cameo tie-ins on each project she does! I appreciate the spoiler info! I knew I wasn't crazy! LOL (Ok, maybe just not in *this* instance)!

Another tie in:

[spoiler]Another funny repeat she did is of the Sudosaurus that ezpoang mentions: Did anyone else notice that it's the EXACT same one that is used in Nana, when Takumi takes Hachi to a Hotel Suite for their first, erm, *rendevous*? He is in the elevator and she says maybe he should wear a disguise so that no one recogizes him, and he imagines himself in the Sudosaurus suit! LOL [/spoiler]

Thanks for responding~!

Post Sat 02 Dec, 2006 05:11 PM   
Bisis

I wanted to say thanks for this project Very Happy
It is a really cute story Smile

Post Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:48 PM   
Tinwian
Mum's boy/girl

Hi!
I've just seen that ch.20 was done by another group called, Yaza World. Wanted to ask what you gonna do? Do the next ch or go on as before? I think it would be sad if you wouldn't go on at all, cuz i really like your work.

Post Mon 12 Feb, 2007 04:06 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lys

I noticed that too, so I wondered if you guys would be releasing soon to counter(?) it. I thought it was a little silly of them: if they wanted to release faster they could have just joined the DV team or somethin. And I really want to read Yazawa's other works that no other groups are releasing yet! Alas...

Anyway, thanks so much for this release!! I've been looking forward to it!

Post Tue 13 Feb, 2007 01:18 AM   
Emurii

YazaWorld  Reply with quote  

This is Emurii - I'm co-founder and senior translator/editor of YazaWorld... I'd sort of like to address the way that our release of ch. 20 was met.

Dragon Voice, who I have emailed about the issue, has not contacted me about the project. We have received no request to stop translating.

You guys, we're a scanlation group, not thieves! Our decision to take TenNai's slow release calendar into our own hands was reached only after polling showed the demand for it, and was in no way intended to "undermine" DragonVoice.

If DragonVoice really is going to be releasing TenNai in a timely manner, and would like us to move onto a different project, then by all means, let us know. It certainly doesn't make sense for us to be scrambling to release 2 chapters/month while another group does the same exact thing. (Well, with the exception that we don't erase the Japanese sound effects... which is, generally speaking, much preferred by manga fans)

I guess over-all, though -- you guys! Fans! Chill out! We're providing the same service as DragonVoice, and there's no particular reason to be hatin'.

Post Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:05 PM   
Breena

I really adore Ai Yazawa sensei's work, my favorite now is NANA. Dying to know more about it, so when I found out you were working on Tenshi nanka ja nai I was soo happy!
Thank you, thank you for everythin and all the hard work!

XOXO

Post Wed 14 Feb, 2007 12:30 AM   
craxx

oh~~ i just finished reading tennai 22! i am soooooo loving it!! cant wait for next chapters!! thank you very much for doing this project! keep up d good work!! love ur other works too!!

Post Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:44 PM   
cecikuna

People love Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai so much they have to post two threads on it Razz I LOVE Yazawa's work to pieces, she's one author who I know I can always count on to read a great piece of manga. She knows how to hit all the right places, and I have literally cried in every single one of her series (well, that I've read so far). Her work is so good, I don't know how she does it and still keeps coming out with more, and just such good stuff. I fall in love with all her characters, and her sense of style.

Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai, at first, I was sort of put off with the drawings because they're just so different from her recent works (well, it's be 15+ years, so I can't say I'm surprised); she's definitley improved her drawing skills. But, soon, the fact that the drawing gets better doesn't even matter- you get so engrossed into the story, and you're just downloading chapter after chapter that you realized you read the whole series in one sitting. It's def. one of my favorites, and although I'm in agony for the next chapter, I'm so happy and really grateful that you guys picked this up as your project- you guys seriously rock my world.

(Haha, this post is more on Yazawa than Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai, but I'm just so happy, and my eyes are so swollen, that I just kinda blabber.)

Post Thu 01 Mar, 2007 09:08 AM   

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: