Dragon Voice Forum > Manga Discussion > Top Shoujo Manga

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lele

Top Shoujo Manga  Reply with quote  

i've read a lot and now i'm looking for new, fresh shoujo stories. so what shoujo manga could you recommend me? list your fave top 5 and a li'l description of the manga please.

so far the really good ones i've read are Fruits Basket, HanaKimi, PGE and all of Tachibana Higuchi and Kyoko Hikawa works. there are more, but i can only remember these atm.

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:25 PM   
lagren12

Re: Top Shoujo Manga  Reply with quote  

Hmm, go check out the links section on the DV website for some recommendations~

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 11:11 PM   
linachan

I like most of the manga of Seino Shizuru (mangaka of Heaven!, Jun'ai Tokkou Taichou, Power!!/Girl Got Game) She hads really funny manga so if you like funny manga Razz. I also recommend manga of Hino Matsuri, most of them contain romance. Tsukuba Sakura has great manga too most of them are romance/fantasy...

A top 5 of my fav manga is really hard I have so many manga I like xD so I'll just give descriptions of my fav manga from the mangakas I've mentioned before.

Heaven! by Shizuru Seino
stolen summary from DGT >link<

Itou is very disruptive at school as she possesses the spiritual power to see and exorcise the ghosts she sees there. Uzaki is a disruptive "Yankee" classmate who one day whilst saving her from being hit by a lorry has his spirit knocked out of his body! Of course the irate "spirit" of Uzaki blames Itou for his situation! Things only get worse when Uzaki's unconscious body is high jacked by Keiju who claims to be ... a God, who wants to use it for less than pure reasons! What is Itou to do when she's being haunted by a "living" ghost and chased by a body possessed by a God?!
[/url]

My opinion: What happens to Uzaki and such is really funny, he tries to get his own body back but without any succes. I really like chapter 3 it was so funny xD ... Just try it!

Power!!!/Girl Got Game by Shizuru Seino
Stolen summary from DGT >link<

Aizawa Kyou was happy when she found out that she was transferring to a top public high school. She always wanted to wear the cute girl's school uniform that it was famous for. However, when she opened the parcel that contained her future school uniform, she found a BOY's uniform. Enraged, she confronts her father about it. Starry-eyed, he explains that his injury caused him to be unable to chase his dream of joining the NBA. Since that high school is also famous for it's top boys' basketball team, he enrolled her in there. Kyou has no choice but to cut her wispy long hair, face the challenge of being in an all-boys dorm, have a roommate that is at odds with her, beat off fan gals (she's a girl herself after all ^^Wink... The list goes on!

My opinion: Like most of Shizuru Seino's manga the funnyness rate is very high I also read this manga with a lot of laughter XD

Vampire Knight by Hino Matsuri
Stolen summary from SIH >link<

Yuuki's earliest memory is of a stormy winter's night when she was attacked by a vampire...then saved by another. Ten years later, she has grown up a guardian of the vampire race, protecting her savior, Kaname, from discovery as he leads a group of reformed vampires at an elite boarding academy. But at her side is a boy called Zero, who burns with hatred for the creatures who destroyed everything that he ever cared for, and is determined never to trust them. Have the vampires truly renounced their murderous ways, or is there a darker truth behind their actions? Is Kaname's infatuation with Yuuki the beginning of a forbidden romance? Or is it something in her lost memories that draws him to her? Because in this world of secrets, nothing is as it seems, and nobody is who they say they are. And the price of misplaced faith may well be worse than death.

My opinion: Though the other manga of Hino Matsuri contained more romance this manga is pretty good too though I don't read a lot of manga with a lil' romance... This manga contains more angst and such. There are a lot of secrets yet to be revealed, so because I'm really curious i like it ^^.

Merupuri/The Marchen Prince by Hino Matsuri
Stolen summary from TTM >link< and SB >link<

TTM
Merupuri, also called Marchen Prince or Meruhen Prince, is a shoujo manga by Hino Matsuri. The story is about a school girl Airi, who one day stumbles upon prince Aram from the Magic Kingdom Astelle. He can enter the "real" world through a special seven sided mirror.
Though Aram is still a child, due to some dark spell casted by his brother, Aram matures into a guy everytime he comes in dark places. The only way he turns back to normal again, is through the "princess"'s kiss...
SB
All high-school freshman Airi Hoshina ever wanted was to someday live in a cozy home with a loving husband, and find joy in the little things in life. As a result, she makes it her daily mission to get to school on time because school legend has it that the longer one's non-tardy streak is, the better boyfriend one will find. But just when her daily routine is working like clockwork, an occurrence of fairytale proportions threatens to disrupt her grand plan.

On the way to school one morning, Airi drops her mirror—one that had been passed down to her through generations—and suddenly finds herself in a bizarre situation. Never in her wildest dreams did she expect to meet Aram, a little boy from a magical kingdom, to have emerged from the mirror in the short time it took her to track it down!

My opinion: This manga is soo cute and romantic. The love between Aram and Airi isn't accepted by the ppl of Aram's kingdom because of Airi's origin, so you'll wonder what will happen to them.

Yoroshiku Master by Tsukuba Sakura
Summary stolen from DV xD >link<

One day when 17-year-old Sagara Kurumi accidently bumps into a guy on the streets, reins suddenly appear and binds them both! What is this?! Things get even more confusing when the boy, Kaito, clasps her hands and calls her his master! When Kaito transforms into a reindeer it just becomes too much for poor Kurumi who's out as a light. But it does indeed seem like Kurumi's a santa and Kaito's her reindeer and that they've got an important job to do on Christmas Eve~ ^^ The three first chapters are about this cute "couple" and the last one is simply a oneshot.

My opinion: The artwork is somewhat special, not that's the point why I like it :p. This manga contains such sweet romance, that's why i like it so much >0<

Sorry for my lame opinions...I'm really bad at giving them. and uhm...I hope this is lil' (uhum) enough ^^.

Post Mon 01 May, 2006 08:38 PM   
white_queen
Active baby

Full Moon...by arina t-something...
i forget how to spell it/say it...T-T
basically, it's about a girl who wants to become a singer, b/c of this boy she liked when she was younger and lived in an orphanage...
however, she is diagnosed w/ sarcoma, a cancer in her throat.
surgery is available, but she doesn't want it because after the surgery, she will be unable to sing.
without the surgery, she has only a year left to live.
of course, she's fine with that. she wants to achieve her dream.
on the day of the audition, two very cute shinigami appear..although she's not supposed to be able to see them... they try to prevent her from going to the audition, because she's supposed to meet someone that will stop her from dying, but she ends up going anyways.
she gets the audition and begins her career as a hit new star w/ new problems arising w/in the music world.

that's the most shojo-ish title i know.

Post Mon 01 May, 2006 10:05 PM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

white_queen: lol, anything by tanemura arina is the epitome of "shojo-ish"... gigantic eyes, cheesy plots, romance-oriented, flowery art, etc etc. but her works are cute and entertaining, so...... lele: if you like that kind of girly stuff, tanemura's series are recommendable... other than full moon wo sagashite, another work of hers is kamikaze kaitou jeanne - about this girl who is the reincarnation of jeanne d'arc and goes around busting pictures with demons in them, and then she meets this guy who also goes around busting demons and stuff... and of course they fall in love... then they end up "helping God" (yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me either) to defeat the ultimate demon dude (like, the devil or something)... (sorry, i suck at summaries)

mmmm... my favorite shoujo mangaka include...
yazawa ai (nana, tenshi nanka ja nai, gokinjo monogatari, paradise kiss, kagen no tsuki),
shiina ayumi (penguin brothers, dice),
yoko maki (aishiteruze baby, atashi wa bambi, star blacks),
shimaki ako (the prince who fell in love, iinazuke ryokan, mucha kucha daisuki), and
haruta nana (saboten no himitsu, sono saki no sweet, okosama brat)
kurahashi erika (max lovely, charisma doll, sekimatsu no angel)

Post Tue 02 May, 2006 01:54 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
linachan

quote:
Originally posted by moofii:
the ultimate demon dude

Haha that reads kinda funny xD.

I like most of Tanemura's manga. They're drawn pretty and the stories are kinda cute too Razz

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 07:02 PM   
Liiz

Hana Kimi is a must read! Laughing
i just loooooooove that manga! the reason i started reading manga Razz

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 08:47 PM   
xlovelyj
Mum's boy/girl

^^yup gratest book ever Very HappyD
also try W-Juliet, Penguin Revolution, The Land of The Blindfolded,Master

Post Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:28 PM   View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] AIM Address MSN Messenger
castfromtentou

hmm,... well... i would recommend these:

1) Girl Got Game - kinda like Hana Kimi but her dad's in on the secret and he's supporting it.

2) Ouran High School Host Club- a girl becomes good friends with the host club of a predigious HS... and well... more like their slave.

3) Dear Boys- ... uh... i think this one's shonen.. >< but it's good~

4) Land of the Blindfolded- there's these students who can see into the past/future, and to them, this place is like a distant land, where everyone's blindfolded, and can't see where they're headed [future]... well... [it's reallllly good! ... i should make this #1...]

5) ... Y^Y tell you when i think of it... ^^

-kagura.

Post Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:51 AM   
achan

I would seriously reccomend Crimson Hero, it's a great series. Shinshi Doumei Cross is another one that is really cute and I think soon there will be some fun twists and turns. Snow Drops is a nice dramatic type shoujo, if you like that kind of thing (I do ^^).

Post Fri 16 Mar, 2007 05:44 PM   
achan

Here's a few things that I am reading, in particular order:

-Crimson Hero: Volleyball and cute boys and romance... Artwork is crisp and the storyline doesn't feel forced, overall very good.
-Bride of the Water God: Girl sacrifice becomes bride of cute but tempermental child god (or is he?)... Beautiful artwork and terrific storyline! So pretty I have a ton of the pix saved so I could make avatars and siggies ^^.
-Arakure: girl is orphaned only to be taken in by Yakuza Grandfather she thought was dead. Suddenly, she is a Mob Princess with a bodyguard who is very willing to do more than guard her body...(nothing smutty just cute kissy face love). Cute artwork and funny little storyline.
-Vanilla Ice: Sooo funny, a romantic love comedy that will delight almost anyone who likes Shoujo... I can't say too much without giving some of the story away...so read the first chapter and you'll be hooked.
-I Want You: Very weird, but very cute... Left with an aunt who dies and turns out to be a blackmailer...Who is she really and why is her birthmark important...Don't ask me I'm still reading franticaly!!

Post Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:25 AM   
ChaeLi-chan

my fave shoujo manga  Reply with quote  

Here's my fave list:

1. Paradise Kiss - about a smart student meeting with a bunch of high school fashion designer and asking her to model for them.

2. Kare First Love - Karin is a high school student who has never experienced love before she met this guy...

3. Goong - *my fave* a commoner is about to marry the crown prince of Korea which she totally detest..read to find out what would would happen to them.

4. Aishiteruze Baby - is this a shoujo manga? Well, anyway, Keppei is a playboy who is very popular among the girls. But his attitude changed when he was asked to take care of a cute little girl who has been left by her mother.

umm number 5? sorry i can't think of good shoujo manga..sorry.. ^^

Post Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:11 AM   
Morbid Dream

I really like one called Meru Puri. Try that one.

Post Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:13 PM   
selinawen
Mum's boy/girl

Here're my top 5...
Matantei Loki Ragnarok (look at my avatar!!!)
The famous and hot playboy from Asgard, Loki is banished from the world of the gods in the form of a child for no reason and he has to work as a detective(or demon detective?) in Enjaku detective agency. He then met a teenage girl named Mayura Daidouji who is obsessed with mysteries. He was slowly attracted to her as they worked together. But since it's shoujo, not ALL of it are about detective cases. Goddess that came down to earth express their love to him too. Freya and Skuld are the more crazy-in-love ones. Reiya(cute little girl) is the more quieter one. Loki slowly found out that he had some feelings for Mayura, even when his mistress Spica, came down to see him...
Mirumo de pon (Mirmo zibang)
This is more shoujo-ish. Kaede Minami has a crush on her classmate Setsu Yuuki. One day, transfer student Azumi Hidaka expressed her feelings to Yuuki in a very short period of time. Kaede was upset of course. Her mum gave her a mug when she came back from school. As Kaede looked at the mug, there are some instuctions to making your wish come true written underneath. She followed the instructions and Love fairy Mirumo came out of the mug. But Mirumo is very selfish and arrogant. Kaede confessed to Yuuki at last but she's still a bit worried. when Mirumo sees that Kaede is really working hard for Yuuki to notice her, he decided to help her. He used magic to let Kaede and Yuuki sit next to each other. But the bad news it, Azumi was next to Yuuki as well!! Kaede and Azumi became rivals of love. One day, rich boy Kaoru Matsutake fell in love with Kaede and the love triangle turned into a love square!! And every character has a fairy too! What should Kaede do!
Ouran high school host club
commoner Haruhi Fujioka stumbles on the host club of Ouran high. She then dressed up a guy in order to be a host as she had broken an expensive vase. I don't want to write another long summary so...but it's a really nice manga!! It seems like all the host club members seems to like her in one way or another but...who would she choose?
Gokkun Pucho
A bit like Mirumo de pon but only the main character has a fairy.
Mermaid melody
Luchia Nanami has a crush on her classmate Kaito Domoto. But she's a mermaid and he's a human so they can't be together. There's a lot of singing to defeat enemies and a lot of couples...well...I've only read volume 1 and watched only the anime so... Embarassed

Post Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:51 AM   View user's profile Send private message   Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tanemurafan
Mum's boy/girl

i love all mangas by:
arina tanemura
mayu sakai
maki yoko
haruka fukushima
matsuri hino
miki kiritani
haruta nana
Yukimaro Moe