Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Re: Psychology  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Genesis:
Interesting...
It's really facinating. I do believe in the shadow; the weak state of mind pressuring you into things you know are wrong, but when your concience is weak, what do you have to turn to that will stop you? It makes sense, just using the alcohol example further, many people turn to drinking in depression or sorrow. Partially for other reasons, the alcohol makes them feel better, and returning to the theory, because of that sudden change in mood, it is what one thinks he/she needs to survive, to [i:ea0bcdb389]stop the pain[/i:ea0bcdb389]. It's instinct, and putting it all together makes sense. But then i have a question as to why, if all humans have this very instinct, why are some stronger against the same problem? While the one man drinks because he lost his wife, the man next door find comfort in religon after losing his daughter.

The background, the way they're brought up, the experience and the endurance. For every human in this world there will be problems and experience that only them and theirselves experience. In my opinion, Why Man 'A' find comfort in alcohole and Man 'B' find comfort in religion is becoz of the different path they take in life that make them who they are. For example, Man 'A' never experience that big of a loss, the children doesn't really like him/he's not close with them as he is with his wife, doesn't pray/not that religious finds comfort in alternative things like alcohole. Man 'B' might experience other path of life that makes him much more stronger than Man 'A' in this case. Perhaps he had gotten over and move on with his 1st big loss even if it takes a long time or not. And perhaps from that experience he knows temporarily bliss and relief isn't the answer.

Post Sun 30 Apr, 2006 01:31 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
white_queen
Active baby

ok...unless anyone wants to linger..
next...: archetypes!!
archetypes are something of your unconcious.
the easiest way to explain them is as: fragments of your personality.

there are bunches of them...like the trickster, god, child, mother/father, etc etc.
opinions?
can you see these parts of yourself as well?

Post Sun 30 Apr, 2006 07:03 PM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
linachan

lemme think...

Me tricking ppl...hmm I kinda do that for fun, but it's never causes (serious) damage to ppl, the tricking is more like a joke.
Me being God xD haha dun really believe in God so I don't really know what he does...isn't he more liek a mother/father thing..?
I'm a child >u<... I don't really act my age, I act more like a 8 year old or so in reallife when I'm with someone or so, though I (often) think like an adult when I'm alone, by that I mean that I think about things like philosophy, future and such...
I think I can sometimes be like a mother xD Sometimes I can be really caring and worried about my friends (not that I say/express it)

I think you have A LOT of fragments or you can be almost everything. You don't know most of them, because they only appear when you feel like it...or uhm can't explain it :s

Is it just me or did I just write this entry really childish xD

...hope this is what you mean with archetypes, I don't really understand it (just blame my bad English ><)

Post Mon 01 May, 2006 11:27 AM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Can anyone explain more about archetypes in detail? I dont really understand.

Post Mon 01 May, 2006 05:39 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
making_mooz

@Rin: Archetypes, as white_queen said, are the contents of your unconscious. Like the shadow, archetypes are a Jungian theory, and they are also considered a "psychological organ". To explain archetypes simply, you could say that it's a tendency you haven't learned that makes you view and experience things in a certain way.

However, archetypes are usually very indefinite. For example, (taken from my psych book), when a baby cries in hunger, he/she just wants to eat something, and is unable to specify what it wants. However, with experience, this baby will be able to identify what it wants when hungry.

@White_queen: Where do you get your information? Your theories and observations are really different from what I have read.

Post Thu 04 May, 2006 12:03 AM   
white_queen
Active baby

from this jungian primer...h/o *reaches into bag to pull out copy*
okay...for an example from this Primer of Jungian Psychology , it uses the mother archetype.
"...archetypes are not to be regarded as fully developed pictures in the mind like memory images of past experiences in one's life. The mother archetype, for example, is not a photograph of a mother or a woman. It is more like a negative that has to be developed by experience."

(note, by negative, he/she means a negative of a photograph).

it also goes on to say that more than one archetype can combine w/ each other.
it uses the hero and demon archetype as an example, which results as a "ruthless leader." (pg 42)

when i say fragments of self, that's a way to explain it to myself, not a term used by any text book.

i also get my information from a few other primers, and am currently reading a book that has jung's essays compiled about the development of personality.
my history teacher is also a psych teacher...however, he has only given me the primer from which these quotes are taken from. (although sometimes we get psych classes instead of history classes...^^)

Post Thu 04 May, 2006 12:16 AM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Ic. I understand the basic now. Thx for explaining both white_queen and making_mooz. can the archtype be associated with instict? Coz when i read the example only instict pops into my mind.

Post Thu 04 May, 2006 06:35 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
making_mooz

The Jungian theory of archetypes are usually associated with the Freudian instinct. So, thinking that way isn't unusual.

Post Fri 05 May, 2006 02:07 AM   
white_queen
Active baby

^yeah. what mooz said.

also...jung talks about how our mindsets are inherited...
sort of like darwinism.
"survival of the fittest"
for instance, those four natural fears (i think)
we have natural fears of darkness, animals, insects..and i forget the last one..
that's because our ancestors, back in the day when we were nomads,
did not survive well in the dark, were eaten by animals, and preyed upon by insects..

sorry about that long underline up there...
i thought if i highlighted the word, then clicked 'u', it would underline the title...
didn't work out the way i expected it to...T-T

Post Sun 07 May, 2006 10:38 PM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nalanilec

I took both Psychology and Sociology so I understand where everyone's coming from. Psychology is a mysterious study in some aspects because the brain itself is mysterious. Its so full of theories and not as much facts, but that's what's so fun about it. =)

Firstly, just to let everyone know, Freud was a very sexual being. I mean to say he related a lot of his theories to sex. Might be why he thought of the whole Oedipus thing, even though it does sound a bit logical (w/o the incest part of course).

There is a theory about dreams that I really like. Neurons just fire in the brain and because the brain is so cool, it tries to make a plot out of it. In other words, thoughts, even subconcious thoughts, throughout the day are taken and made into a story. This explains the randomness of dreams. Also, we all dream every time we sleep, we just don't always remember it. =) Please correct me if I'm wrong White Queen, don't we have 5 stages of REM sleep? I don't quite remember, it's been a year.

Lastly, I have a theory on souls. I think that our souls are inside our head area or at least core there. How else do we think? It's so weird; it's like thinking how many stars are in the universe. Anywho, I remember a non-fiction book series about people having death experiences to which they actually died and came back and when they saw the living people, their lips were moving but no sound came; the dead person did hear the thoughts of those people though. Spirits can communicate to other spirits right? Also, ever heard of the saying "The eyes are the windows to the soul"? It's all in the head! hahahahaha okay. I'm done. Thanks for hearing me rant [happily].

Post Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:35 PM   
Nalanilec

quote:
Originally posted by white_queen:
^yeah. what mooz said.

sort of like darwinism.

Ah! Social Darwinism!

Post Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:37 PM   
making_mooz

quote:
Originally posted by Nalanilec:
[quote:8b2de9a20a="white_queen"]^yeah. what mooz said.

sort of like darwinism.
[/quote:8b2de9a20a]

Ah! Social Darwinism!

Actually, Social Darwinism is a completely different thing. Social Darwinism is more of the idea that competition between groups in society will lead to evolutions (such as the French Revolution). Furthermore, "survival of the fittest" isn't really something that Darwin devised. It's more of propaganda that Darwin never meant for.

@Nalanilec: Yes, Freud based many of his theories on sex. But it was for a reason. After all, humans, like all species in the world, have 2 simple motives while alive. 1) Survive and 2) Reproduce. So it's not that surprising that Freud based his theories on sex. Surely, for his time and even ours, the topic is very liberal, but if we can just accept that sex is a part of life, it's not really that bad. At least, that's how I think of it.

Also, there are only 4 stages of sleep. NREM... I think that's what it's called. Those are the stages where we get rest. However, the fifth stage that you were thinking of? It's the REM stage. That's where we dream.

Yeah... I've been studying up on my Psych stuff. I agree with you, it's a fun subject. That's why I'm minoring in it :D

Post Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:51 AM   
Nalanilec

Ah! That's good! Tis certainly fun. I vaguely remember things which is why I can't get the details right, so thanks for correcting me. Psychology seems to bring up a lot of political views hahah.

@making_mooz: What do you think about dreams? What theory do you agree with, or do you have your own?

Post Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:13 PM   

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: