Dragon Voice Forum > Anime Discussion > Manga-turned-anime vs original anime

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lele

Manga-turned-anime vs original anime  Reply with quote  

i'm sure everyone here has read manga (duh, DV) and almost everyone here must have watched anime. for veterans, do you prefer anime created due to the popularity of the manga or original scripted anime?

i prefer originally scripted anime as the entire plot is thought out for the series, and the outcome would not be influenced by the upcoming chapter of the manga. a lot of could-be-good anime turned to crap because it followed the manga too tightly. also, if i've read the manga, why would i need to watch the same story again when i can get a totally new experience? this is only my opinion, so no offense to anyone out there.

(however, in cases such as FullMetal Alchemist, i am glad to have both)

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 02:55 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Re: Manga-turned-anime vs original anime  Reply with quote  

By originally scripted anime u mean the storyline that is similar yet rebuild? Personally I hate the type that strayed away from the original manga plot. Unless I never read the manga, I wont watch it. For example : Samurai Kyo Deeper. I was really dissapointed in the anime. Waste my money buying it. =/ The story plot is really really diff from the manga. It is WAY crappier than the manga >.>;; I like watching anime that follow manga plot tightly like Yakitate Japan, furuba, etc even when they have a few differences. It is still as good and worth to watch. As for Naruto and One Piece. Due to the massive fillers, I had to drop it.

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:18 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
aurumice

manga --> anime generally disappoint me.
Why ?

1) I tend to compare the character designs against the original character in the manga.
I love the art in "black cat" a lot... and check
out the anime, the characters look kiddy-ish.
The other example is the brand new anime "Princess Princess"!
They change the characters to look like some casts from 'Get backers'.

2) My high expectation
I expect too much from my fav manga. So when it turns into anime, it
just didn't turn out like what I expected. E.g. Air Gear. I would
expect Ikki to do a lot of cool stunts and a lot of well animated
acrobatic moves but... *down*

3) Filler episode
Bleach and Naruto are great but the filler episode. *sigh

With original anime, I can't compare. So...it's definitely better.

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:13 PM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@aurumice: Exactly what I inteded to say!! XD XD XD I'm extremely picky about the art... and usually the manga-art is way better than the anime... And too high expectations... yeah I remember looking forward to Aishiteruze Baby anime and then I got so disapointed with the art and the horrific voice of Kippei that was used >____< *put a hole on my ballon!*

And yup! With original anime u can't compare! XD I still totally love Scryed and hasn't bothered to check out the manga adaption of it... I must say that it goes the other way as well, anime that turns into manga usually aren't worth pursuing at all... don't you agree?

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:03 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

quote:
Originally posted by lele:
(however, in cases such as FullMetal Alchemist, i am glad to have both)

hmm... i got so confused with the manga after watching the anime since the storylines are sooo diff! but they are both good..

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:49 PM   
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

quote:
I'm extremely picky about the art... and usually the manga-art is way better than the anime... And too high expectations...

haha i think so too! good art is sooo important to me when i read manga, and if manga-turned-anime doesn't match up (as it usually fails to do) then i get really disappointed. :[ i remember watching my very first manga-turned-anime rurouni kenshin, and being sooo horrified when i saw all the sloppy art after falling in love with watsuki's art from the manga XD plus, i get really annoyed when important things in the plot are changed. that's why i no longer watch anime if i've already read the manga, or vice versa ^^;;

Post Wed 19 Apr, 2006 11:05 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

i so agree about the kenshin anime. they look like skeletons and the ending sucks big time!! how i wish i never laid eyes on the last OVA!! *burns DVD*

it's also true that most manga based on anime turns out horrible too, but not as bad as most manga based on games.

gakuen alice and cardcaptor sakura are a bit different from their manga counterparts, so i think they're not bad. i like Fullmetal Panic the anime more than the manga actually.

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:34 AM   
desertrose281

the problem with anime is that the quality of the art will always be worse than the manga cos it takes so much more time/effort to draw..

ah! i see some kenshin fans! im gonna start a kenshin thread..

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 07:37 PM   
Genesis

It totally and utterly depends on the series!
That is, if it's manga-turned-anime.
I have high expectations as well for manga-turned-anime most times. I hate how they've killed certain shoujo series such as Dn Angel, Tsubasa (FOR MANGA SAKES, THEY'VE KILLED THAT), Pita-ten, and the dark shoujo series X.
(I liked the anime, but I must admit, they really have killed my favouritest CLAMP work when they made the anime.)
I don't usually mind Shonen series anime, because I think action-based stories are best represented in, well, action. Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist were done well. (with the exception on Naruto's filler-disease.) Not to say that the manga versions were bad.
Very few, but some, manga-based animes are better than their manga-counterparts. And by this I mean Inu Yasha. *shudders at name* I'm quite anti-Inu Yasha, but if I had to choose, I say the anime. They at least did a sort of better job with art and story, etc.
But yeah, I think it's fun to watch manga-based animes, only because they're fun to compare with manga. Although I say, they look liek failures compared to the real stuff. >3 You just can't capture certain art styles in animation like you can in manga. Same with plotlines.
It all varies for me.

Originaly anime series are probably the best for anime because they're just that; you're watching them in their planned, original raw form, the original creativity of the animator. I find that when they make mangas based off the anime (like the complete opposite of manga-based anime, anime-based manga.) taht they turn out pretty bad.
Gundam SEED, one of my absolute favourites is pure proof of that. *shakes head at the thought of the GSEED manga*

Post Sun 30 Apr, 2006 02:48 AM   
linachan

Mostly when I read the manga and it's good I'm kinda looking out for the anime. But when I watch the anime, although it was kinda good I haven't got any urge to read the manga.

@Genesis: I never read the GS manga so I can't say, though I was looking for them a while ago... when I was overly addicted to AsuCaga >...<

@desertrose281: Yeah I agree the art gets worse in anime, like Arina Tanemura's, I think her manga style is way much prettier drawn than the anime style..

@lele: I don't remember that they looked like skeletons but I have to admit it was a long long time ago ... xD

@aurumice: ack I also hate filler episodes especially when there's something really thrilling

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 08:00 PM   

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: