Dragon Voice Forum > Drama Discussion > Review: Goong (Palace)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Review: Goong (Palace)  Reply with quote  

Title: Goong (궁)
Number of Episodes: 24
Broadcast Year: 2006
Based on: manhwa by Park So Hee

mangauniverse's Rating: 4.9 out of 5

Quick Synopsis: Shin Chae-kyung is an easy-going high school girl who goes to the same school as Lee Shin, the Crown Prince of Korea. One day she overhears this haughty prince proposing to his girlfriend, though he gets rejected, but her mobile phone suddenly goes off and she's nearly caught! Only Lee Shin didn't manage to catch her face, only the profile of her back... However on his way back to the palace he catches a glimpse of Shin Chae-kyung's backprofile and hunts her down in order to threaten her into keeping silent about what she overheard/eavesdropped on. Back in the palace the King and Queen presents the bride candidate for the crown prince. This had been set up by the previous king and his best friend who happened to be a commoner: the deal they had was to have their grandchilden married to each other. Lee Shin is stunned however when he realizes who the girl is... meanwhile Chae-kyung also recieves the news: that she's going to get married to that jerk of a prince! As if this isn't enough, the second in line for the throne, Yul, comes back to Korea along with his power-obsessed mother to complicate things even more.

mangauniverse's Review: Heheh, I hope I didn't give too much spoiler in the synopsis... if I did then plz let me know! Anyway this is a MUST WATCH! One of my absolute favourite drama this year and in general. The costumes are really nice and the whole atmosphere just brings a smile to your face XD *at least for me* There are some inredible hilarous moments that are just... spectacular! It's totally awesome. And choice for the actors and actresses is great! Yoon Eun Hye totally fits in her role as Shin Chae-kyung, Joo Ji Hoon as Shin Lee (though I didn't like him much in the beginning) and Kim Jeong Hoon as Lee Yul. New faces, which is nice XD The drama follows the manhwa pretty well, it's much more realistic and that makes me like it even more ^^ The only negative thing I can give is that some parts can be a little bit draggy *though some ppl might not agree* so that's why the minus 0.1 to my rating ^^

I've totally fallen for Goong, as you might notice from my avatar XD Can't wait for the subtitles for ep20-24 ^_________^

Last edited by mangauniverse on Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:06 PM; edited 3 times in total

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:19 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

Re: Review: Goong (Palace)  Reply with quote  

haha you got a really good picture there, mu! shin's smiling really cutely XD
hmm... i had stopped watching goong after 6 or 7 episodes the way you did with devil beside you, but your review makes me want to start again Razz
my problem had been with the actors/actresses - chae-kyung was rather stupid and ditzy and a bit too 'flat' of a character for me, and i didn't like shin very much at all. buttt now that i read your review i think i'm gonna go watch the rest ^^ and yeah it's definitely true that the costumes and set designs were amazing~~ you can definitely tell that they're putting a lot of effort into this drama :]

i'm not sure but i remember hearing that there's gonna be a second seasion when chae-kyung and shin are in college... and that the actors aren't sure if they'll return for it... has anyone else heard anything about a goong season 2? o.O

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 04:00 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
sadotsu
Mum's boy/girl

I actually really liked the drama, despite some people saying stuff like how it didn't really follow the manhwa, but I didn't mind. I think it can stands on its own as a drama and not just an adaption of a manhwa.
I kinda hated Joo Ji Hoon at first... not because he wasn't good-looking like some other people think, just because he didn't really act very well. But he got better later on, I love him now.
But I though that Kim Jung Hoon was wayyyyy too smile-y. His smile creeps me out, he looks much better with his emo-face, lol.

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 09:46 AM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Hahaha, yeah I agree about Ji Hoon... I quite disliked him in the beginning, but one grows to like him more and more later on in the series though Smile Easy-going-ness suits him much better than being stiff and cold ^^;;; *he should smile lots more!* I liked Kim Jung Hoon from the very beginning though ^^ *thought he was cute*

@moofii: if you quit after watching ep7, then I dunno~~ Ep7 had one of the most hilarious moments that u can find in this drama: it's when the crown prince and Chae-kyung spends a couple of days at her parents house... XD *LMAO* Hope you'll get around to finish watching though Smile You might change your mind? *hehehehe* Yeah, they spent a lot of work on Goong... I also heard that it took them ages to get permission to shoot at the palace. And yup, there'll be a season 2 Smile It'll air in jan 2007! It seems the actors and actresses from season 1 will be acting in season 2 as well *not 100% sure though* I'll definitely check it out, though I wonder how they plan to go on from where season 1 ends... I thought season 1 ended really neatly, no loose ends ^^ *heheh, being a fan of spoilers I watched the raws of ep24 the day it came out*

About the pic... I have LOTS of goong images! But yeah I rather liked this one ^____^

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:57 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

i totally agree with mangauniverse's rating .. goong is sooo cool! i still havent watched eps 20-24 since im still waiting for the subs to come out - it took a lot of will power not to watch the raws..

@mangauniverse: ep7 was the best!!

i think all of the actors/actresses suit their roles, especially chae-gyung.. i didnt like Ji Hoon at first cos as an fan of the goong manhwa i thought he should be waaaaay cuter but now i think he suits his role.. his smile is really nice.. has anyone seen his modelling pictures? he's such a good model!

@sadotsu: ur from nz! and here i thought i was the only kiwi in cyberspace interested in manga/drama

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:31 PM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@desertose281: Hahaha! You have a very good self-discipline! XD Something I pretty much lack ^^;;;; I usually get the raws as soon as they are out in clubboxes and then I watch it raw and all XD I just couldn't wait~ had to take a peek and get my dose of spoilers XD After all some stuff you don't need subtitles to understand... Anyway, I think you'll love the ending ^-^

yeah I had also expected someone cooler like the Shin in the manga Smile The Shin in the drama was rather boring *especially in the beginnig as we all know...*

I like some of Ji Hoon's model pictures, especially those black and white ones XD But some look kinda.. sleazy? <____< He should go with natural windswept hair or something... all that licked back hair that he usually has in those pictures gives me goosebumps @____@ So I like the ones where he looks more natural and not so imposing...

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 09:45 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

@mangauniverse: i learnt my lesson with watching raws around ep16-17 where i got so confused watching with subs after having watched the raws.. Shocked

i agree with you on those slicked-back-hair Ji Hoon pix .. u know those calvin klein ppl, hehehe..

Post Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:18 AM   
sadotsu
Mum's boy/girl

quote:
Originally posted by desertose281:

@sadotsu: ur from nz! and here i thought i was the only kiwi in cyberspace interested in manga/drama

Hehhhh, how cool!! I love meeting NZers on the net, lol. It's like a one in a million chance.
Oops, off-topic - -;;
Back on topic! Does anybody actually like drama Hyo Rin? I didn't mind her in the drama, she was much less annoying and you actually get to see her dance instead just mope around.

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:57 AM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

sadotsu: it's true that the drama hyorin had a lot more depth as a character and didn't just mope around, but i didn't like her because she was more calculating and selfish in the drama than she was in the manhwa... Razz

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 04:14 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
making_mooz

<-- Is an avid fan of Goong.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kim Jeong Hoon. Even before Goong. :D

But I hate Hyorin. Stalker girl, with psychotic problems. Such pity for that guy who likes her. He's quite hott too...

But Goong is now my number 1 drama, after Full House. [Another good drama based off a korean manwha, btw]

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 04:59 AM   
desertrose281

@making_mooz: kyaa~! i love goong and full house too!

hyorin is *ARGH* so annoying.. all i can say is 'she asked for it' .. who asked her to reject him in the first place?! live with the consequences! ahem *regains composure*..

@sadotsu: i DO prefer her in the drama since shes so much worse in the manga.. and yes, we get to see her dance (although its quite obviously fake, hehehe)

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:49 AM   
white_queen
Active baby

i'd say the rating is pretty fair.
it's definitely up there somewhere.
although the acting at first left a room for desire,
it got better and the story line is great.

halmama is hilariousssss.
i wish she was my grandmother/halmoni.

ah...i wish hyorin was more liked.
ok, so she treated chaegyoung like crap
at first, but she lightened up.
turned for the better.
i think she had a natural response too,
when she took all those pills.
in the manga, i think she seems less "evil"..

yul-goon<3333
amazing voice as part of UN.
no denying it. plus, nice face,
awesome marks/grades.
adding to the face bit,
it's 100% flesh. no plastic. how good is that?!

honestly, though...
the romance between chaegyoung and shin-goon
is really only delayed because (as characters)
chaegyoung is too dumb to see the affection of shin-goon,
and shin-goon is too proud to apologize or say nice things to her.
but that's why we <3 them...it's not worth it w/o the struggle, i think.

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:09 PM   View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address MSN Messenger
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@making_mooz: Ah! So you're also a Goong fan?! Coool XD And yeah I liked Kim Jeong Hoon the first time I saw him appear in Goong ^____^ Too bad he has to play the character that can't seem to move on with his life... He's cool though, I'm definitely going to look out for other dramas with him in the future *hope he'll act in more XD*

Yeah, I found Hyo-rin to be annoying as well... but I liked the fact that she resolved to give up on Shin at the end, making a clean a break as she possible could instead of making things even uglier in order to keep him... but then again Shin was quite clear about him wanting Chae-kyung in the drama (than in the manga) that it didn't really leave much room for her to wedge in between. Shin in manhwa should really be more honest like that~~

@white_queen: Hahahaah! Yeah XD It's definitely not worth it w/o all that struggle ^^

@making_mooz: Ah, btw since u also like Full House like I do I suggest you try "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" ^^ That one is funny as well XD Not like Goong of course, but some stuff reminding me of Full House though in it's actually nothing like it... anyway give it a shot sometime ;P

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:28 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

quote:
Yeah, I found Hyo-rin to be annoying as well... but I liked the fact that she resolved to give up on Shin at the end, making a clean a break as she possible could instead of making things even uglier in order to keep him... but then again Shin was quite clear about him wanting Chae-kyung in the drama (than in the manga) that it didn't really leave much room for her to wedge in between. Shin in manhwa should really be more honest like that~~

--> i agree

Post Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:30 PM   
making_mooz

@Mangauniverse: I suppose Hyorin is better. [What I like best is that Chae Joon doesn't like her.]

I felt sooo sad for Yul-goon... I love him. If Chae gyung doesn't want him, I DO! <-Is in fangirl mode.

Anyways, "I am Kim Sang Soon" ? Maybe I'll try it. :D

Post Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:08 AM   

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: