Dragon Voice Forum > Manga Discussion > Rurouni kenshin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
desertrose281

rurouni kenshin  Reply with quote  

welcome kenshin fans!

kenshin is one of my all time fav mangas.. beautiful art + excellent storyline = breathtakingly aWsOmE!!

i first knew of kenshin through the saturday morning cartoon "samurai X" .. then one day, years later i found out that it was a comic .. HELLO! and here i am volumes later after several re-readings..

since im a person who prefers manga over anime, i havent watched the anime since i was a kid but i DID watch the OVAs ... o_0 .. the tomoe one was soooooo sad and i found it really cool (i watched it b4 i read the manga) but recently i watched the kenji one and was not happy.. i mean, kenji was cool and everything but kenshiiinnnnn!! noooooo!! that ending was something that kenshin lovers do NOT want to see :'(

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 07:48 PM   
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

Re: rurouni kenshin  Reply with quote  

hehe, kenshin fan right here ^^ ::waves::

i completely agree with you about the beautiful art + excellent storyline! (i did think that watsuki 'simplified' the art drastically over the course of the manga though, and i can't say i was very happy about that XD)

i don't really recommend the anime...
1. the art and voice-acting were disappointments
2. filler episodes/arcs were... not good...
3. the characters' personalities (especially kaoru's) strayed from those of the manga (less mature, lost the complexity that watsuki put into them, etc)
4. the jinchuu arc was missing! it's only the most important part! (IMO Razz)

ooo... the OVAs... the first part (the part about kenshin's past) was definitely "sooooo sad" and really cool! but the second part with t) wasn't something i thought watsuki would have written/drawn. i thought the whole point of the ending of the RK manga was that kenshin had found 'redemption' and could finally rest...

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:31 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

quote:
i did think that watsuki 'simplified' the art drastically over the course of the manga though, and i can't say i was very happy about that XD)

u mean how the drawing became less bold? i loved that! the art at the end was so cooool!

i watched some kenshin AMV's and i can see wat u mean.. i dont like kenshin's voice either..

quote:
the second part with t) wasn't something i thought watsuki would have written/drawn. i thought the whole point of the ending of the RK manga was that kenshin had found 'redemption' and could finally rest...

yes! i agree! i found the OVA an extrememely disappointing ending to an amazing story.. the manga's ending was way better.. did u read the special stories tho? the cherry blossom one and the other one where yahiko was all grown up?

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:39 PM   
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

i think i liked watsuki's art around the middle of RK -- not as bold as the beginning volumes and not as simple as the last few volumes ^^

hehe, yeah i did read the extra stories! i loved them a lot Very Happy especially the cherry blossom one -- i really liked seeing what happened to each person, especially sano XD

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:54 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

the art at the end was kinda "wispy".. had a kind of dreamy feel to it.. the beginning art i didnt like.. not as pretty.. by the time i had finished the series i went back to the beginning and thought "kenshin looked like THAT??" hehe..

Post Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:58 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Another kenshin fan coming in~! Though im actually a soujirou fan Embarassed I have the same kind of start with desertose. I saw samurai X on tv, they liscense the manga Malaysia with crappy translation, My siblings take turns to buy it with pocket money. And i stay reading both. I dont like the anime much becoz of the filler. And i love the part about tomoe. It was so sad. It makes kaoru seems not suitable for kenshin in my mind. I have no comment about art. Im quite oblivious when it comes to art.

Post Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:56 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

@rin: if you want to see the change in art we're talking about, just look at a picture of kenshin from vol 1 and compare with vol28 - i think even if ur oblivious to art, u'll still b able to see the diff there.. its quite significant Smile

yea, i started to think tomoe was more suited for kenshin.. i LURVE the tomoe arc - so cool! the fact that kenshin was so young and tomoe was older than him was so .. cool .. its that dreamy thing i was talking about.. dunno how to explan o_0

Post Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:36 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

quote:
Originally posted by desertrose281:
@rin: if you want to see the change in art we're talking about, just look at a picture of kenshin from vol 1 and compare with vol28 - i think even if ur oblivious to art, u'll still b able to see the diff there.. its quite significant Smile

yea, i started to think tomoe was more suited for kenshin.. i LURVE the tomoe arc - so cool! the fact that kenshin was so young and tomoe was older than him was so .. cool .. its that dreamy thing i was talking about.. dunno how to explan o_0

Hmm. All my rurouni kenshin manga is borrowed by my cousins. Can't compare it atm. Its a hassle to download. I do recall it changes though what i mean by me being oblivious is. Whether the changes are good or bad. Coz in my eyes they look ok. Not the type of art that i dislike for example mitsuru adachi's work. Dont like those type of art.

Yea i know. I mean compare to present kenshin and kenshin in tomoe arc, he is dreamy just like u said. It even makes me think that the author should just change rurouni kenshin to tomoe's arc ._. Its just so beautiful and sad the way tomoe died in front of kenshin.

Post Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:45 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

[quote:6978939871] I do recall it changes though what i mean by me being oblivious is. Whether the changes are good or bad. Coz in my eyes they look ok. Not the type of art that i dislike for example mitsuru adachi's work. Dont like those type of art. [/quote:6978939871]
ah, ic ic..

the ending of the tomoe arc was sooooo sad! i was jumping up and down screaming "noooooo!" i think i might have cried.. hmm.. i can get quite emotional reading manga.. my bros think im nuts Very Happy <spoiler> it was just so beautifully artistic the way he slashed but she was in the way.. she was saving him but her crazy brother watshisname is so psycho he doesnt even realise she loved him.. </spoiler> ah, kenshin is the best man

have u read watsuki's latest work 'busou renkin'? i started reading it but gave up..

Post Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:50 PM   
lele

wow, so many similar people here! i also like the art near the middle of kenshin, i'm also a soujirou fan, i also hate the last OVA, i also prefer the manga compared to the anime and i also don't like the new works from watsuki! woot! my sisters~ i've found you at last!

personally i like the shishio story arc the best. there was quite a number of character development on both the allies and enemies, as opposed to enishi where the other baddies are shallow.

Post Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:47 PM   
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

quote:
wow, so many similar people here! i also like the art near the middle of kenshin, i'm also a soujirou fan, i also hate the last OVA, i also prefer the manga compared to the anime and i also don't like the new works from watsuki! woot! my sisters~ i've found you at last!

lele: LOL i'm glad you've found your RK soulmates... but i must say that i have yet to meet anyone who doesn't love soujirou or doesn't hate the OVA ending or doesn't like the manga better.... Razz

Post Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:04 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

quote:
but i must say that i have yet to meet anyone who doesn't love soujirou or doesn't hate the OVA ending or doesn't like the manga better....

haha! thats probably bcos those are more factual than opinionated Very Happy

@lele: welcome fellow sister!!

Post Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:20 AM   
Nami Queen

hmm..i don't like the last arc, and the OVA 'Reminansance' too.
THe OVA too depressing, the last arc too out of topic i thought. They should hv stick to the manga
Sad

Post Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:44 AM   
desertrose281

and another sister has joined our ranks.. Very Happy hi nami queen Wink

Post Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:07 AM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

moofi --> soujirou is like another kenshin. I guess thats y.
lele --> Hello sister.
Nami --> Welcome!

I dislike how the mangaka doesn't end what he started. For example when he says he wants to continue the manga more. And then theres the other manga. Gun blaze west. It was very interesting manga but he dropped it. =/

Post Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:51 AM   View user's profile Send private message  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: