Dragon Voice Forum > Game Section > Genso Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lele

Genso Suikoden  Reply with quote  

has anyone heard of this RPG? Suikoden is an old-school RPG involving collecting 108 Stars of Destiny to join your revolution and rewrite history. It's a brilliant series with great storyline, interesting characters (and cute!) and fun gameplay! sure, the graphics is nothing to die for, but trust me, you're usually engrossed with the story to notice much. plus, you can play this game at a leisurely pace and enjoy the mini-games!

as you can see, i'm a hard-core Suikoden fan hoping to preach my fave RPG here Smile the latest one is out, part V, and if any of you is disappointed with part III or IV, fear not, for part V is great and worth every penny!

the story's placed in the Queendom of Falena (female dominatrix XD) and you're playing the Prince. Your mum is a great and just ruler...or so you rhough. The clogs of destiny has once again begun to move, but who knows, you might be able to change fate.

alright, so that was a sucky summary, but check out all the gamesites out there and this game got great reviews. i've played all the games from I to IV and greatly looking forward to V! so are you going to try it?

Post Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:16 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Re: Genso Suikoden  Reply with quote  

Seems to be interesting. I might give it a try. Can u elaborate more about the storyline?

Post Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:55 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

sure.

the Suikoden series is set in a fantasy medieval-like world and each game explores a different section of the world. in this fifth saga, we go towards the East side: Queendom of Falena, where the ruler will always be female and holds the Sun Rune. You play the current Queen's son aka the Prince, and your job is to quell the rebellion against your mum's reign.

I'm not going to spoil the game for you, but Suikoden's trait is to gather 108 Stars of Destiny (characters) in order to change history. This RPG has 3 fighting modes, party battle, war battle and dual fights. the usual spell-casting and world-exploring is there, along with mini-games at your headquarters. oh, and your HQ grows as you collect more Stars of Destiny. this version got great reviews and i'm going crazy waiting for my copy to come. apparently it's out of stock Shocked

is this the sort of game you like?

Post Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:07 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

YES!! This is definitely the type that i like! Any more reccomendation? I love it when u can use more than 3-5 permanant character. I like it more like this and chrono cross. Does it have romance in genso suikoden though?

Post Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:42 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

romance? it's very subtle and it doesn't usually involve the main character though. i mean, a few from the 108 stars will definitely have a romantic story or 2 neh? you can usually choose from 50+ people out of the 108, as the others will be support or shopkeepers in your headquarters.

i also recommend Tales of Legendia and Star Ocean III if you love RPGs.

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 04:19 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Of course, I love rpgs. Thats the only ps games I play other than puzzles and racing. Then whats the diff between genso suikoden 1 - 5? Same storyline diff chars? What is Tales of Legendia and Star Ocean III about?

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 04:30 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

each suikoden has the same basics (that is to collect all 108 Stars) and although set in the same world, the timeline and area is different. the main characters are all different, but if you played I first, you can get him as a member in II. the best thing about Suikoden is the story, character depth and the achievement you feel after getting all 108 Stars. you usually get the best ending if you get them all. i recommend playing I, II, III and V. for more info, go to http://www.suikosource.com/games/

Tales of Legendia is the latest PS2 release of the Tales series. I've played Tales of Destiny and Eternia and they're sweet! it involves real-time battle system on a platform and has cute SD characters. the 3D graphics is awesome and surprisingly, the voice acting is good. Star Ocean III is also real-time fighting, but it's a more serious game. good voice acting and quality graphics too, and there's this cool sidequest of inventing items that will take hours of your life away.

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:05 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Real time fighting is? Which suikoden u feel is the best. Though my bro have only II , Vand tactics. i think. Well only some but not the 1st one. Anyways, thx for the recommendation. I've been searching for new rpgs game this few days but been having a hard time. Thx for the link too.

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:22 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

real-time fighting means you fight like an adventure game, not turn-based as with many RPGs. your brother has 2 and 5 only? well, try them out first and if you like them, get the whole series Smile

there are a few more good recent RPGs like Wild Arms Alter Code F, Grandia III, Dragonquest VIII and Kingdom Hearts 2. if you're into strategy-RPG, try Disgaea.

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:29 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Ah. Ic. I dont like real time. I like turn based more. That way my heart stays safe. Not from shock like the time i play resident evil >.< Omg.. How did it went so far. The typo. I meant that my bro have Genso Suikoden III, IV and Tactics. I've played wild arms before. Wild arm 1 is the best of all the series. 2nd one is ok but it becomes abit boring in the middle. 3 sucks. 4 haven't tried it yet. Played abit of alter code F and i am abit dissapointed in the appearance. The opening of wild arm 1 is much better than alter code F. The art as well. Its like alter code F is more to anime-like. And honestly i dislike it. And the handleling is abit hard. Maybe coz of my joystick. Hmm, all u mention here except for kingdom heart 2 is in my bro's posession. Are all of them real time fighting or turn based?

Post Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:17 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

oh don't worry. RPG's real-time is not like resident evil. it's similar to fighting games actually, and the game will still pause when you're going through the inventory. turn-based RPGs would be Suikoden, Wild Arms...not sure about Grandia. all strategy games are turn-based too. why don't you try them out to see if you like the feel of it? i'm currently playing Legendia and Radiata Stories now, and i think i'll abandon Radiata since Legendia is really fun!

Post Sun 30 Apr, 2006 07:48 AM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Have i ever told u i love u lele? Well, if i haven't, i do. I love suikoden III. Checked it out last night and played it abit. Ohhh The opening makes my heart thump so hard. And i had this increadible feeling when i listen to the opening song. It match perfectly with the amv and the storyline >.< Can't wait to play it. Im bought suikoden II and playing it atm. My bro said Suikoden II is the most interesting of all. Not sure about that yet. By legendia u mean tales of legendia?

Post Mon 01 May, 2006 05:52 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

hahaha cool! i'm glad you like suikoden and yes, suikoden II is the best game of the series, though i haven't played 5 yet. you may find the 2D graphics kiddy, but it's old and the fact that they can put in so much detail with 2D is awesome! III is fun, and a lot of new suikoden players love that more than II, but i find there's a lack of depth due to the multiple POV. well, play it out first and find out which you like best. let me know if you want to join a suikoden forum. i'll intro you mine and you can join in the empire i'm in Smile

yes, legendia is tales of legendia. a new tales is coming out: tales of the abyss. can't wait >_<

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 03:49 PM   
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Yea but i still have to complain they dont let us name the characters... (my fav part of every rpg games) >.>; I dont mind the 2d kiddy graphic. Its decent enough. Its also very comical. III, im really intrigue by the opening. Especially the blond lady with a wand? doing the spell and behind her came this mask guy who is very pottential to be kakkoi handsome guys <fan of romance> ~.~ U know its a coincidence. 2 days ago my bro came home from U bringing kingdom hearts 2 and suikoden V. But Suikoden V is busted for some reason so we had to buy a new one. So we went to a game shop yesterday. And i found tales of legendia. I remembered u saying something about it, so i ask my bro to buy it along with the new (working) suikoden V. Both in English and has np. Then i check the ps games. Looking for something for me to play in my pc since he is hogging the ps2 and i found the last cd of suikoden II in the store. Ps games are really hard to find nowadays. Which is very lucky and coincidental. xD Oh, i got a question for u. What the function of vase and books?

Post Wed 03 May, 2006 04:14 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lele

woah u found suikoden 2?? ur really really lucky man! they're sold for 100 bucks online now since they're pretty rare! have fun with legendia! ah well, you don't really get to play the kakkoi guy and the blond girl unless you get all 108 stars of destiny. go to gamefaqs.com for the guides.

you get to name the main character in II and V i think. but naming all 108? i don't think that's necessary neh? in II, vases are just for show. bring them to the bathhouse and decorate the place. you can put the peeing boy in the bathhouse too. books are just for more story info, no big deal. all RPGs have to have a collection of some sort Smile

Post Tue 09 May, 2006 02:30 PM   

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: