Dragon Voice Forum > Drama Discussion > Review: TWDrama - Devil Beside You

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

Review: TWDrama - Devil Beside You  Reply with quote  

the forum's kinda empty right now, so i'll start off the drama section with a twdrama review! Very Happy

Title: Devil Beside You (惡魔在身邊)
Number of Episodes: 14
Broadcast Year: 2005
Based on: Takanashi Mitsuba's shoujo manga Akuma de Soro (Devil Does Exist)

moofii's Rating: 4 out of 5

Quick Synopsis: The drama begins with Qi Yue (Rainie Yang) finally mustering the courage, with the help of her friend Qing Zi (Tsai Pei Lin) to give a love letter to her crush, Yuan Yi (Kingone). However, wracked with nerves, Qi Yue accidentally hands the letter to Jiang Meng (Mike He), the school principal's devilish son. When she tries to get it back from him, Ah Meng orders Qi Yue to be his personal slave if she doesn't want him to spread copies of her letter throughout the school. Finally Qi Yue, humiliated and furious, decides to confess to Yuan Yi and break Ah Meng's hold over her and is delighted when the crush turns out to have been reciprocated all along. However, to her surprise (but of no surprise to us viewers ^^;; ) she discovers that she has feelings for Ah Meng, who is actually not the arrogant badboy he makes himself out to be, but a kind-hearted and loyal friend on the inside. Typical -_-;; However, happily-ever-after isn't as close as it seems, or else this drama wouldn't be worth watching; Qi Yue and Ah Meng have mutual feelings, but how can they be together when they're about to become siblings?

moofii's Review: Devil Beside You is definitely a must watch. Sure, it's got the cliché sexy bad boy (which Mike He definitely pulls off!) falling for and getting changed by the cute, innocent angel, but hey! it makes for an enjoyable watch and we fall for it XD (there's a reason that Mike He and Rainie Yang are one of Taiwan's most popular screen couples ^^). And although it's true that at the beginning, the acting was waaay too cheesy (and Mike He's hair waaay too overdone Shocked ), it mellowed out (along with the hair) so that viewers could empathize with the struggles that Qi Yue and Ah Meng faced in their relationship (and fully appreciate Mike He's hotness Razz). Devil Beside You isn't exactly profound, is far from realistic, and has a rushed ending, but it epitomizes 'entertaining.' As a drama known for it's large number of kiss scenes, it's full of romantic fluff, in addition to sports/fight scenes that serve little purpose other than allowing fangirls opportunities to drool. I would recommend this drama to anyone just looking for a fun watch. :]

has anyone else seen it? Smile

Last edited by moofii on Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:27 AM; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:07 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

Re: Review: TWDrama - Devil Beside You  Reply with quote  

I've not seen it yet since I am hardly caught watching a drama unless I found it worth to watch which is quite rare. Mainly coz my connections are crap for me to download them and I have no one to lean on for supplies. Anyways, how is this drama worth watching if the storyline is somewhat typical? Can explain to me?

Post Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:16 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
moofii
The Unbeatable Moderator

hmm... the storyline is somewhat typical, but it's worth watching because it's really entertaining, and what drama or manga doesn't have cliché elements? i'm just recommending it to anyone who likes romance dramas, has the time to sit down and be amused, and isn't looking for something especially deep or profound. that devil beside you is a 'must watch' is just my opinion because i had a good time watching it. Razz
rin: if it's rare for you to find a drama worth watching and it's hard for you to download them, i might suggest you go to youtube.com and check out a couple episodes. then if you're interested, yesasia.com is a great place to lean on for supplies XD

Post Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:37 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

*whistles* that's a nice review moofii! I'll copy the "format" XD

Well I watched about 6 eps of Devil Beside Me. I thought it was soso ^^;;;; Downloaded it mainly to let my mom watch it~~ I was rather into some other series at the time as well... anyway didn't get very hooked on it. Rainie looks good in it though, she was rather plain in Meteor Garden. If you like Mike He you should download the newest twdrama that he starred in: ExpressBoy. That one is pretty good, I didnt have time to dl everything though and I lost the ones I had downloaded >_____< Luckily I recently discovered that a fansubbing group picked it up so now I have ep1 with eng subtitle as well ^^ It's pretty long.. about 32 eps. I'll be downloading them all this summer when I have time ;P The story's about an ex-gangster who wants to start over... it seems interesting Smile Here's a pic:

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:41 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
Rin no Rekka
Red Psycho

quote:
Originally posted by moofii:
hmm... the storyline is somewhat typical, but it's worth watching because it's really entertaining, and what drama or manga doesn't have cliché elements? i'm just recommending it to anyone who likes romance dramas, has the time to sit down and be amused, and isn't looking for something especially deep or profound. that devil beside you is a 'must watch' is just my opinion because i had a good time watching it. Razz
rin: if it's rare for you to find a drama worth watching and it's hard for you to download them, i might suggest you go to youtube.com and check out a couple episodes. [i:c1c30390ce]then[/i:c1c30390ce] if you're interested, yesasia.com is a great place to lean on for supplies XD

Allright. I understand. Thx for the link. I'll try it once I have a victim to lean on for download supplies Twisted Evil

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 06:10 AM   View user's profile Send private message  
linachan

This drama is one I recentely saw (saw the last ep yesterday ^^;; ).
I wanted to watch it to learn Chinese better, and also because
I thought the manga wasn't very bad. Most of the things
that happened in the drama were the same as in the manga,
but I didn't mind it, I actually enjoyed it.
Also the music of DBY is really good, like Chou Nan Ren(opening) and Ai Mei (ending).

Post Sun 16 Apr, 2006 11:49 AM   
shinhwa_gurl
Mum's boy/girl

i loved this twainese drama! i love the book as well..i'm still reading it..Mike is so cute playing the character for Takeru..haha^^ i agree it's a must watch too!

Post Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:00 PM   View user's profile Send private message   MSN Messenger
lele

i've read the manga and love it heaps, so i was pleasantly surprised that they're making a drama out of it. sadly, i couldn't endure til the part where they mellowed out and died at the cheesiness and overacting of the girl (and boy) from the first few episodes. i must give credit that they found a girl similar to the manga. as for Takeru, i love the manga version.

Post Sun 14 May, 2006 03:50 PM   
masala_chai_tea

It's a must see! I was hooked on it after episode one!

Post Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:14 PM   
desertrose281

man, i lurved this drama..! i just kept watching episode after episode until i finished.. i'd read the manga b4 so i pretty much knew the storyline and i still loved the drama - the soundtrack, the cinematography, the cast, the storyline were great.. unfortunately, the files were really LQ..

@mangauniverse: that new mike he drama looks awesome! do u know where i can get it (direct dwld)?

Post Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:22 PM   
mao_vaj

the first episode caught me and took me like one day and two night or something to finsih this drama... love this drama and the manga... Rainie Yang and Mike He makes just a cute couple... love rainie's acting and i TOTALLY JUST LOVE Mike He... he is so god DAMN cute when he smirk ... love guys who can smirk... in a cute way...

Post Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:26 AM   
desertrose281

uh-huh... mike he's killer smile *swoon*

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 01:03 AM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@desertrose: well if you really like Devil Beside Me that much, then you might like to know that there are some hq hardsubbed eps of it released on d-addicts Smile Not much has been released, some couple of eps that's for sure *didn't pay much attention to that ;P*

About Express Boy, only ep1 has been hardsubbed... you can find all the express boys torrent links here:

http://d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php?search=Express+Boy&type=&sub=View+all&sort=

However as you can see, there are hardly any seeders ^^;;; At least not for the raw ones...

And yeah Mike He is cute ^^ His newesit drama is "Marry Me", consisting of 20 episodes... I only skimmed thru the first one and didn't find it too interesting, but I can't say for sure. From my knowledge that's another manga-based drama.

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 12:59 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
lazydreamer

I find that the drama is so much more interesting then the manga, but then again that's only my opinion. The main guy (i'm really bad with remembering names) is totally hot. I've only watched like 7 episodes ,but i'm completely addicted. Laughing

Post Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:52 PM   
yoh
Mum's boy/girl

I actually thought that the manga is a lot better but that's just my personal opinion of course. The drama itself if pretty enjoyable to watch, no spectacular acting or anything but I felt like I had to finish the series (not particularly in order, however). I thought that Rainie Yang looked really cute in the drama and I'm probably the only one who thought that Kingone was way hotter than Mike He (who sometimes, IMHO, had the ugliest expressions Laughing ).

Post Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:36 AM   View user's profile Send private message  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: