mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Review: Fantastic Children  Reply with quote  

Title: Fantastic Children
Number of Episodes: 26
Genre: Science-fiction

My ratings: 5 out of 5

Brief Description:
For hundreds of years, the same group of children have been spotted numerous times. By all the photographs and paintings, they seem never to have aged in all this time and they act more like adults than like children. They seem to have an agenda of their own, searching always for one person, but, never seeming to find that person for those hundreds of years. Every time they come close, they find the same image of a crescent moon behind a mountain.

One day, not so long ago, an orphan known as Helga escapes from her orphanage and runs across Toma, a talented young man who helps aid her younger friend in their escape and tries to hide her at his house. Though she is caught and returned, he becomes curious and tries to find out more. Among other things, he is shown some strange drawings that she has been drawing since she was young, though the head of the orphanage does not approve of them. These drawings are the same ones that the fantastic children have found so many times in their searches, though Toma knows nothing of this. Is she the one they are looking for? Why have they been looking for one person for hundreds of years and what is their secret that they have lived, apparently ageless, for so long?.

(info taken from Animenfo's website)

My review: OMG, Fantastic Children really is FANTASTIC!!! I got so hooked on it that I finished watching everything within 2 days ^^;;; I would never have guessed that it contained so much good angst XD And even though the art is what is is, it didn't take me long to get used to it and I rather liked it ^^ At least it keeps its "proportions" (unlike the art in Night Head Genesis anime) and I rather find it classic-like ^^ Anyway the story more than makes up for it anyway! Eveyone should give this a try XD I truly haven't watched such a good anime in ages ^-^

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 12:07 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

Re: Review: Fantastic Children  Reply with quote  

LOL! Now I want to ramble~~ hope there's lots of others who've watched this series XD

Spoilers: It was pretty obvious that Thoma was connected to Helga's past as Tina, however I always thought that he was the reincarnation of Soran! It didn't hit me that he was the reincarnation of Sesu at all until they made it clear of course. Did anyone guess like me when watching it for the first time? Poor Sesu really... he was so selfless, but oh so human... even though he always did place Tina's happiness before anything else, some kind of jealousy had to lie somewhere inside of him. The pain from losing his left arm and the bitter fact that his voice didn't reach her totally made him lose his senses for a while there, resulting into that dreadful act >___< And he was so tormented by it afterwards... *the poor guy*

Also that was quite the bittersweet ending :S Though there was no one to make a really happy one for everyone of course, with such tragic past or rather past lives. I must say that I would have liked it if Dumas resorted to live on Earth near his sister, but the trouble is will he age according to Girishia's time? How did he manage that really? Didn't he abandon his "giant-form" and resume a human one? I would also have liked to see them all meeting each other again, even if only by chance, that is a gathering with Agi, Soreta, Tauranto, Hasumodai, Helga (Tina), Thoma(Sesu) and that new guy (reincarnation of Soran finally appearing!). Though I guess they surely will meet Smile Oh, and never forget Mel and Parasu ^^ I had hoped to get a notion of who's the current incarnation of Parasu...

I think it's so sad that they lost their memories after a year or two :S I guess the only one who'll remember everything is Chitto~~

Who's your favourite character? I pretty much liked everyone, except Hiisuma... he always appeared cold to me, but I think I favor Agi a bit over everyone else ^^ Dunno why, but I like his personality: a firm and hardworking leader, but yet kind... It was really touching to see how hard he tried to help Kirchner who was still about even due to his strong protective feelings towards his sister even though he was already dead... that prolly touched a sensitive nerve in Agi since he also cares deeply for his own little sister.

Who's your least favourite character? For me it's King Titas and his brother Georcia... *bleh to both*

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 12:33 PM   View user's profile Send private message  
desertrose281

oooh~ sounds interesting.. is there a place to dwld this?

Post Fri 01 Sep, 2006 04:37 PM   
mungoberry2000

Hurray!! I'm so glad that you watched it! i had misgivings about the cartoony designs but everything about this show is top-notch! the story is intricate and really amazing, the art is beautiful, the music is great...this might be the second best show i've seen (my fav is still Last Exile Smile ) . and i thought the resolution was fairly well-done, most loose ends were tied up.

Post Sun 03 Sep, 2006 06:00 PM   
mangauniverse
The Undead Site Admin

@desertrose: Mahou's the only group who fansubbed it Smile (http://baka-updates.com/groups.php?title=Mahou) I don't think it's licensed... anyway there's bittorrents or you can get on their IRC channel and dl them from there ^^ I got them all via IRC and it took me less than a day to get everyone of them!! *wonderful bot they have XD*

@mungoberry2000: Hehehehe, thanx again for recommending it in the first place XD XD XD It was such an enjoyable watch! I even burnt the whole series already so I can rewatch it again in the future ^o^ Ohhh, Last Exile! I watched that as well Smile Ages ago since I watched it but I remember enjoying it when I was following it ^^

Oh, btw has any of you seen Twelve Kingdoms? It took me ages to start watching, but it was rather good! However the big setback is of course that they never properly finished off the series :S That sucked big time really ~____~

Post Mon 04 Sep, 2006 03:57 PM   View user's profile Send private message  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: